Skip to main content

Kid Approved! Spaghetti & Turkey Meatballs!

I've never posted a recipe on my blog before, but this year my goal is to cook more and fun things for our son. :) I always shared recipes with friends and family so why not?

I found the recipe originally on All Recipes of course like the picky eater I am I changed a few things to make this recipe somewhat healthy. My nieces & nephews (ages ranging 4 years -13 years old) here in Houston have all tried it and LOVE it! And of course Jett is a big fan! Oh and have no idea the meatballs are turkey. Even after they found out still gobbled it right up!

So what did I change?? For my version I used ground turkey rather then ground beef (not as greasy), added mushrooms, & tomatoe sauce (I like more sauce)

What I love the most about this recipe it is very inexpensive and it fills quite a few bellies. We always have left overs that we eat the next day for lunch or dinner again (it's THAT good). Also, most of these ingredients were already in my pantry. WIN WIN! Don't be decieved by the long grocery list below. It really isn't that much. Seems like it, but once it is said in done this dinner probably would cost around $10 or so. STEAL!!

If you have a TODDLER. This is a great finger dinner food. So easy for them to eat. Since the ground turkey just crumbles in their mouth. Not a lot of work for them to chew. Once the meatballs and sauce are done. To save for later meals I spoon out a I few meatballs that have been cooked & place them in a BPA free tupperware container. Then I stick in the freezer. Whenever I need one for dinner or lunch. I pull one out. Zap it in the microwave for 30 seconds and give it to my little one.****

Your Grocery List

For Meatballs
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg, beaten

Sauce
3/4 cup chopped onion
mushrooms
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
2 teaspoons salt
1 can of tomato sauce
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 bay leaf
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Pasta
Whole Wheat Spaghetti

Let Us Cook!
Making the SAUCE: In a large pot over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent. Stir in tomatoes, mushroom, tomatoe sauce, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes.  



Forming the MEATBALLS: As the sauce is brewing. In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder and beaten egg. Mix well and form into 12 balls. Store, covered, in refrigerator until needed.           

Adding Meatballs: Stir in tomato paste, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and meatballs into the sauce and simmer 30 minutes more. Yes, you read right add meatballs straight into the sauce. Cooking in the sauce prevents the meatballs from drying out. Occasionaly & lightly (without breaking the meatballs apart) stir the meatballs so they don't stick to the bottom.

Cook Pasta: Boil water. Add whole wheat pasta noodles. Strain.

The finished product
(please excuse the paper plate all of our dishes are packed since we are still renovating)
Soooo Jett what do you think???
Looks like it's a winner! Happy customer!

Enjoy!! I will be posting more recipes. I am all about cooking in 2012!!

Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jett's Vintage Train 3rd Birthday Party!

I was really excited about planning Jett's party because we would throw the party at our new home. So many possibilities!! I always try to brainstorm ideas months prior to the party so I can slowly come up with stuff and create them. I started to think of things that Jett was really into at this part of his life. He loves planes, but we did that for his 1st birthday. He loves tractor, we did that for his 2nd party. Now at almost 3 he loved trains and Superman! So I asked Jett in November, "Jett do you want a choo-choo train party or Superman?" and Jett yells, "CHOO CHOO TRAIN!!" PERFECT!! I was now thinking of things to do and how to decorate for this party. Of course everything has to start with the invitation. I created the invitation myself. I went with a old style boarding pass.  This invitation is no longer available at my etsy shop .  However, a new & improved one I made from my youngest son's birthday (below) is available  to pe

80s Homecoming Theme 40th Party!

When I heard the idea of an 80s prom for a birthday party. I knew this was something I had to do for for my husband one day, who grew up in the 80s. What better birthday milestone to throw this party was the big 4-0! I had this theme in my head for years! I was always looking for cheap venues, decor ideas, and outfits. 6 months prior to his birthday party. I decided to change it from an 80s prom theme party to a 80s homecoming theme party. Almost exactly the same. I only did this because I wanted our guests to have more options when it came to their wardrobe. I know some homecomings in the 80s were really formal, but some were not. I just wanted a variety of options for our awesome guests! As I mentioned I looked at all sorts of venues. I wanted my backdrop to be an old school gym. I knew a lot of these dances took place in a stinky gym. I had no luck finding a gym, but I found a great community center in my local town. The price was right, but they required us to have at least

2013 Mother's Day....DIY photo gift

2013 Mother's Day was extra special this year with what my guys did for me. While I wasn't home Mike got out our camera, tripod, remote for the camera and started to take some beautiful DIY shots. His inspiration was "Jett's Day." From getting ready, napping, & going out. It just captured so many great moments of our little guy. I love the sentimental gifts that kids make their parents. It is worth millions to me. So when I received my mother's day gift from my guys I heart just fluttered with excitement. Here are the pics from the mini DIY session ..... My all time favorite!!!! Father & son shaving moment! When I saw this picture I was in tears. It is just so special. Mike wanted to put all these great photos in a frame. He had J paint the matte so it was more personable.  The end result a DIY photo session with a toddler painted matte for Mother's Day. Something I will have and to cherish forever. Not the b